MAME XML Scanner not run

discussion about anything that needs to go here: https://sourceforge.net/p/quickplay/_li ... rce=navbar
teorex

MAME XML Scanner not run

Post by teorex » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Latest MAME 0.205 with 0.205 xml - qp 4.6.4
Choose xml file and Start Scan - no any results, 1 sec show CMD without any info,
dats, folders, icons put in Extras.
Previous versions have this issue too.
butter100fly

Re: MAME XML Scanner not run

Post by butter100fly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Oh dear. You do appreciate that you need a 64-bit version of windows right?
http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... uick_Start
Its just that, I'd expect to see exactly your issue if you have a 32-bit version. there's not much i can do about that i'm afraid

If that's not the problem, another idea is maybe your current working directory might not be QuickPlay's root directory for some reason? are you scripting running up quickplay without changing the working directory for QuickPlay
perhaps?

I'm guessing after you run the MAME Scan, then there's no mametool_logfile.txt in the root of your QuickPlay directory? If you go into the bin/ directory in QuickPlay's root, and double-click QPNode.exe, does an empty mametool_logfile.txt get generated in that folder at all?
teorex

Post by teorex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

All functionality works fine on x86, add info about 64-bit to the xml scanner.
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:42 pm

I think you are saying that running QuickPlay on an x86 cpu is indeed your problem with MAME Scanning, is that right? Sorry again, but the requirement for QuickPlay is Windows 64bit. I think you might be right that most of QuickPlay will work on an x86 at the moment, but any new code written for QuickPlay will need a 64bit CPU, and I will write code that touches many parts of QuickPlay. That's why the requirements page specifies 64bit.

I will have a think about how i might release both a 32 and a 64 bit binary when I release new versions, but there will likely be a number of manual steps involved and I worry this will harm my ability for, and quality of, releases.

I didn't think there would be much demand for a 32bit version these days, why do you run 32bit?
teorex

Post by teorex » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 am

64-bit machine will not give performance on old hardware with an early 64-bit processor, why use it? The answer is simple, windows 7 (x86) with a lot of old software, games (which are not compatible with newer versions of the OS and have problems running on Win 10)
For more modern computers I give preference to linux x86_64 systems, it allows me to use some applications on any devices (desktop and mobile). I don’t know how difficult it is to rewrite the old delphi code for cross-platform, I read news from RAD Studio that linux, macOS, android appeared.

The list of what did not start on x86:
tools: MediaPanelCfg Editor, Romdata Magician (error at line 193, error: Invalid hotkey)
Emulators: MAME and RetroArch (also does not start the game, the other emulators that are registered in EFind work without problems, Mednafen works too)
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 pm

ok, understood. old games and x86 kinda go together. I opened a feature request for this: https://sourceforge.net/p/quickplay/fea ... quests/57/ though I think there are more issues than i've captured there. But at least we've diagnosed the issue and have an idea what to do.....i am very interested in turning this project into something cross-platform