[solved] Wrong path generated for ROMs on an exFAT HD

discussion about anything that needs to go here: https://sourceforge.net/p/quickplay/_li ... rce=navbar
quickplayer

[solved] Wrong path generated for ROMs on an exFAT HD

Post by quickplayer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:10 am

QuickPlay generates a valid path and launches this ROM normally on my NTFS-formatted SSD:

"C:\roms\Bandai\Bandai - WonderSwan\Crazy Climber (Japan).zip"

But it doesn't work on my exFAT-formatted external HD:
"E:\roms\Bandai\Bandai - WonderSwan\Crazy Climber (Japan).zip"

Emulator: Mednafen Bandai WonderSwan Color (configurated automatically by QuickPlay)
QuickPlay 4.6.6
Windows 10 64-bit
Last edited by quickplayer on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butter100fly

Re: Wrong path generated for ROMs on an exFAT HD

Post by butter100fly » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 am

Hi - could you give me any more details - why doesn't it work, what happens? any error messages? any screenshots you could show?

Without knowing more i'd probably be interested in: What is the contents of that zip file? if you unzip the contents, and link directly to that in quickplay (make a temporary romdata that just loads that), does it work then?
also if you rightclick the rom and go to 'run as', what is shown in the runas dialog? Again a screenshot would really help

The title of the topic says 'wrong path generated' - in what way is the path wrong?
quickplayer

Post by quickplayer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Sorry, I've forgotten to include the screenshot. These are simple zip files with clean No-Intro .ws roms. The problem is that everything after the first space is cut off. Mednafen says:

Code: Select all

Error opening file "E:\jogos\roms\Bandai\Bandai": No such file or directory
This happens with %SHORTROM%. If I change it to %ROM%, it doesn't work on either filesystems.
Attachments
mednafen.png
mednafen.png (7.43 KiB) Viewed 7279 times
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Have a read of this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... ing-a-file

Note that there is MAX_PATH, a limit on how long a windows path can be. In order to accomodate potentially very-long rom filenames, I often have tried to use the 8:3 name of the emulator and/or the rom in command line calls. However, also note in that link that you can't assume that your drive allows for 8:3 naming (since it slows things down). You'll find I think that your EXFAT volume has 8:3 disabled, so instead windows is using the fullpath and cutting off the first space. really I think i should have put all the %SHORTROM% calls in the mednafen efind file in quote marks: "%SHORTROM%" in case of this circumstance. Feel free to do that to the file and send it back to me to include in the next release! Another alternative you could do, if you DO have rom paths that come to over 260 characters (fairly likely) is to enable 8:3 naming if that's supported - see https://msirevolution.wordpress.com/201 ... n-windows/

(also: this is why %ROM% didn't work for you, because it always needs to be "%ROM%" because of spaces in file paths)
quickplayer

Post by quickplayer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:29 pm

Thanks for the explanation!
Attachments
Mednafen.zip
updated Mednafen.ini
(778 Bytes) Downloaded 337 times
butter100fly

Re: [solved] Wrong path generated for ROMs on an exFAT HD

Post by butter100fly » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 am

thanks i'll make sure this makes the next realease!