New release

Discussion forum, stuff that isn't technical help....
butter100fly

New release

Post by butter100fly » Sun May 07, 2017 5:50 pm

So the plan was to do a simple "RetroArch-MAME" set of Efinds, just to finish off the RetroArch Efinds I posted earlier, and then later do a full set of MESS-in-MAME Efinds and softlists. To be frank with you I found RetroArch quite frustrating to work with, many days I spent randomly trying to make things work, and reading code at github that I was never quite sure formed the thing I had in front of me. But I got there in the end, and it turned out the 'simple' support wasn't such an easy win after all. Ever since I've been coding for the hard implementation that applies to both MAME and RetroArch. And I just released it...As I knew I would, I spent the last days of doing that with RetroArch once more, and I got the MAME command line for it working, by sheer determination (and a lot of searching).

Please can I draw existing user's attention to the updates folder that's in the new quickplay package, and the instructions I posted here: http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/MESS on running the exe and yourself updating your own systems.dat with the one in that folder (I don't want to make assuptions about your setups). Bear in mind that you can just make a duplicate of your quickplay folder and that will run alongside the original happily.

Do take the time to checkout the MESS softlists, you'll be very pleased.....
jaw970

Re: New release

Post by jaw970 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:01 am

Excellent, thank you butter100fly!! I haven't yet gotten into MESS with softlists (seems ugly and burdensome to me) but I might just make the dive considering what you have done with QP and softlists.

Jason
butter100fly

Re: New release

Post by butter100fly » Tue May 16, 2017 10:07 pm

the latest release 4.2.1 is just a bugfix for the previous release 4.2.0, i don't think its terribly important so don't worry if you've already installed the previous release
* once nice thing it does add, for mess-in-mame only (doesn't work for me in RetroArch) is a romdata in the softlist set for MESS' 'embedded' systems (by that I mean systems which have games but no 'device' to 'load' from - so think home systems where the games are built-in. Its not a major thing, but a nice addition
* I also realised it was possible to get game icons in your romdatas, which use the MAME icons, but you have to hardcode your path (mass-edit 'folders.ini' in the 'data/mess|retroarch-softlists` folder(s) for your MAME icons path
* I also got annoyed with the way the new mess-in-RetroArch called systems with the manufacturer - 'Atari Jaguar' but the non-mess RetroArch didn't: 'Jaguar' so I changed those. If you have retroarch softlists and do a 'replace all' efind search, you'll have to change these. Worth it tho!!!!!