QuickPlay game listing

Discussion forum, stuff that isn't technical help....
jaw970

QuickPlay game listing

Post by jaw970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Hello,

How does QuickPlay manage a game list?

Example game name: Kangaroo

I have one folder named Games that contains all of my games. I also have a column showing Emulator

I have Kangaroo for more than one emulator (Atari 2600, Atari 5200, MAME)

I have the game list sorted alphabetically. The game Kangaroo is shown 3 times (as it should).

Shouldn't the game list be sorted alphabetically, then by Emulator name?

Game list should be listed like this:
Game Name Emulator
Kangaroo Atari 2600
Kangaroo Atari 5200
Kangaroo MAME

Instead, I see this:
Kangaroo Atari 5200
Kangaroo Atari 2600
Kangaroo MAME

Any idea as to how to get the game list to sort alphabetically, then by emulator name?

If you think I am being too OCD, just tell me. :)

Thank you,
Jason
jaw970

Re: QuickPlay game listing

Post by jaw970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Please disregard. I figured this out. I had to click on Game name (to sort by Game Name) then Emulator ( to sort by emulator). Now the list sorts by Game Name, then by emulator.

Thank you,
Jason
jaw970

Post by jaw970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:33 pm

After looking into this a bit further, it appears that QuickPlay does not remember the way you sort your game list upon exiting the program. I sorted, alphabetically, then by emulator and everything worked as expected. I then closed QP and reopen it and QP sorted the game list differently, and not by emulator.

Any way to tell QP to retain your game list sorting upon exiting?
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Hmm there are certainly enough saved settings for column order in dats/settings.ini, that i'm surprised your sort options aren't remembered on exit, I seem to recall always getting the same sort order I had last time, are you sure nothing of your sort selection is remembered? From a cursory look, and from memory, it all 'should' be

But what you may quickly find in either case, is that what you really start to want is for the sort order, column layout, visibility etc to be remembered per ROMDATA, not just a single setting for the whole application, as i'm sure you also find that different kinds of sets need to be ordered differently. But that's not something i feel like I can tackle atm - I think there's an existing ticket in bugs or features for it.

Have a look again at how the application-level sort ordering works: maybe it works in some cases just something is broken? Why are you finding a problem when i've never noticed it I wonder?
jaw970

Post by jaw970 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 am

It's not a "problem", it was simply an observation. Perhaps you and I have our QP setup or sorted differently. In any event, thank you for the response. It's not a show stopper and purely cosmetic for me so please don't give it a second thought.