option to show multiple images at once at the media panel?

Discussion forum, stuff that isn't technical help....
mgz

option to show multiple images at once at the media panel?

Post by mgz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 am

Hello, first I wanted to thank butter100fly for continuing and all the work involved on updating and improving this front-end.

Also, I'm wondering is there is a way to show more than one screenshot (maybe 2 or 3 images) at once at the media panel, something like a "user defined" view? For example for console games (like NES, Genesis, etc) I would like to show the front box art, title and snapshot at all once. For MAME about the same thing, but showing the marquee instead of the box art. Emuloader has some predefined layouts to choose from for a multi-image view, not sure if something like this could be implemented. I like both Front-ends, but IMO and testings QP seems to be faster for huge collections, its easier to setup and has support for RetroArch (a huge plus!).

If it is not already an option, hopefully this can be considered for a a future version.

Thanks again for all your effort on improving QP.
butter100fly

Re: option to show multiple images at once at the media panel?

Post by butter100fly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:25 am

hi there mgz

thanks for your thanks! Indeed its not a small task to keep QuickPlay and everything surrounding it alive!

We've talked about this a lot before, and its an obvious need that we all want, its quite limiting to only be able to see one thing at once, in particular to be able to see game information with a screenshot is the simplest thing! I think you'll probably find a couple of threads on this forum about it. Its something I want to do and there's i'm sure a ticket on it on SourceForge, but it quickly gets quite complex even though it sounds like an easy thing, that's why it's never happened.

Certainly I've never considered predefined layouts though, thanks for the idea: that would make getting something working more managable, maybe the obvious thing to predefine would be what i said: for MAME assets, to be able to have a game description window and a screenshots window. However there are a number of game description files, and number of screenshot files, so I guess it would be limited to the MAME History file and In-game screenshot only, the worry I have is that people would quickly find a bit odd (that you can't extend that to any other tabs in any other combination). But maybe a predefined set of A-B options might make that feel a bit better. It would be better than nothing. When I find the ticket, I'll add that to the ticket as an idea....
AFaustini

Post by AFaustini » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:57 pm

The ticket is this?
https://sourceforge.net/p/quickplay/fea ... quests/28/

If the default "multi-image" panel looks like this will be awesome?
How you have done that?
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:05 pm

its just a mockup someone made to say what they would like i'm afraid. The media panel is an interesting thing in QuickPlay, the way its separate from all other rom metadata allows some really interesting things, but it does want to separate individual assets out into tabs so requires quite a lot of work to make something like the below. Of couse its do-able, but my priority atm isn't here right now. atm I'd recommend the thumbnail view: you can have all of these pictures displayed in that view and focus each one to fullscreen and back by clicking on it....they will all be the same size though i'm afraid for now
AFaustini

Post by AFaustini » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:30 pm

First, happy new year for everybody.
I discover a nice utility for scrape images of roms, called skraper.
Unfortunately, they didn't have a lot of new games in their database.
But i discover that they use a XML to compose their images.
A example:

Code: Select all

<ImageComposition xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="https://www.skraper.net/ImageComposition.xsd" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <Information ShortName="Mix4 HD 4:3" LongName="4 Images Mix" Description="3DBox + Support + Screenshot (or title screenshot) + Wheel" Author="Author" />
  <Viewport Color="#00FFFFFF" Width="1280" Height="960" />
  <Drawings>
    <Item Type="Screenshot">
      <Display X="50%" Y="0%" Antialiasing="None" Width="90%" Height="90%" Anchor="TopHCenter" />
            <Fallback Type="ScreenshotTitle">
    </Item>
    <Item Type="Wheel">
      <Display X="100%" Y="100%" Width="50%" Height="33%" Anchor="BottomRight" />
      <Fallback Type="Text" Text="%name%" TextColor="#FFFFFFFF" FontFamilly="Arial" FontStyle="Bold Italic" />
    </Item>
    <Item>
      <Children>
        <Item IfOrientation="IsPortrait" Type="Box3D">
          <Display X="0%" Y="100%" Transparency="0.9" Width="45%" Height="60%" Anchor="BottomLeft" />
          <Children>
            <Item Type="Support">
              <Display X="20%" Y="95%" Transparency="0.9" Width="20%" Height="20%" Anchor="BottomLeft" />
            </Item>
          </Children>
        </Item>
        <Item IfOrientation="IsLandscape" Type="Box3D">
          <Display X="0%" Y="100%" Transparency="0.9" Width="45%" Height="60%" Anchor="BottomLeft" />
          <Children>
            <Item Type="Support">
              <Display X="5%" Y="70%" Transparency="0.9" Width="20%" Height="20%" Anchor="BottomLeft" />
            </Item>
          </Children>
        </Item>
      </Children>
    </Item>
  </Drawings>
</ImageComposition>
There is a way to automate this process in order to use in Quickplay internally or via a external utility?