QuickPlay 4.7.4 is released

Discussion forum, stuff that isn't technical help....
butter100fly

QuickPlay 4.7.4 is released

Post by butter100fly » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:29 pm

the sole purpose of this release is to update the RetroArch EFind to the latest version (currently 1.8.1 of RetroArch - yeah i know they snuck out 1.8.2 a few days ago, but it took me a while to get around to releasing - mainly because i tried to get AFaustini's new QP Icons to work (I failed), and I don't see any major EFind changes in 1.8.2).

This release may sound like a small deal, but RetroArch is becoming the defacto emulator to use for many systems (in competition with MAME, those guys should seriously talk…). Thanks to AFaustini for submitting various RetroArch EFind changes to prompt me to do this! You missed a few changes - I think I got most of them now ;-)

Some highlights of this update are the Flycast emulator for Sega Dreamcast/NAOMI games (previously a bug meant that the old dreamcast emulator in RetroArch just wasn't command-line callable, so QuickPlay couldn't launch Dreamcast games, can now!), the Play! emulator for PS2 games, the Citra 3DS changes, better Saturn and PSP emulation possibilities, but so much else its hard to comprehend….having a working RetroArch install with all the emulators gives you a lot of possibilities for QuickPlay, you could JUST setup RetroArch as your emulator now and still have a pretty good experience (just don’t mention PS2…).

And those of us who know, know that QuickPlay offers a very different experience to any frontend the RetroArch team can offer - their QT-based Windows frontend seemed to be just the thing we needed, but turned out to be anything but....), so go setup RetroArch and run this EFind…..and enjoy the result!
butter100fly

Re: QuickPlay 4.7.4 is released

Post by butter100fly » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:43 am

Two things I said I'd mention about the RetroArch EFind update:
1) BSnes (only BSNES, not BSNES mercury or 2014 or anything else) can now load Super Game Boy games, but the placement of the Super Game Boy roms needed to do that are not specified (unlike the other RetroArch SNES emulators which can do the same, and they need appending as a command-line, so I had to dictate where they go: so see the efind info against these for where to place your bios files (or just use one of the other SNES Emulators that has a more declarative approach to the Super Game Boy roms)
2) I see this quite often now: if you're trying to use some non-mame emulator from RetroArch, its still worth having your games described by MAME: for instance there's a non-mame NeoGeo CD Emulator now, not sure whether its better than MAME or not, but it accepts CHDs, and of course MAME's Software List is still the most thorough capture of the NeoGeo CD Set. So if you were going to use something other than MAME to load your NeoGeo CD game(s), its still worth setting up a basic MAME and printing out a MAME Softlist Set in QuickPlay, and turning ON the filepaths functionality I recently released when you're printing out the softlists, so QuickPlay can pass the path of the NeoGeo CD CHD to RetroArch's emulator