Public Service Announcement - Backup your QuickPlay configuration!

Discussion forum, stuff that isn't technical help....
jaw970

Public Service Announcement - Backup your QuickPlay configuration!

Post by jaw970 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:52 am

Hello,

As the subject line states - backup your QuickPlay configuration (Utilities --> Backup/Restore)

I have been using QuickPlay for a long time and this Backup option has saved me countless hours of work numerous times, however, let me tell you about a time that dummy me didn't use it and not using it it cost me time, energy and aggravation (through no fault of QuickPlay - my own stupidity!!)

I have quite a number of systems in my QuickPlay list (38). I also have all of my games in one main list. I am constantly tweaking my ROMs list (some say that I have OCD but that's a story for another day!) :) This past weekend I was tweaking my ROMs list and wanted to use the ROMs --> Remove Orphaned ROMs option (this option will removed ROMs from the list that have an incorrect or missing link to an emulator). Well, instead of clicking Remove Orphaned ROMs, I clicked the item above it - Clear ROM list. This option is very unforgiving as there is no "are you sure" prompt. Once you click it, the list is gone. I had to spend the next several hours recreating my custom ROM list because dummy me never backed up the ROM list. Had I done that, I could have simply clicked Restore and the ROM list would have been restored from the last backed up files.

So, the moral of this story is (and anyone that plays RPG games will be very familiar with this moral) - back up and back up often.

On a similar note, how difficult would it be to implement a prompt asking "are you sure that you want to clear the ROM list?" when selecting the Clear the ROM list option? This could be a safety net for knuckleheads like me that don't always save their work.

Jason
butter100fly

Re: Public Service Announcement - Backup your QuickPlay configuration!

Post by butter100fly » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:08 pm

a prompt for clearing the romlist is an extremely good idea, and sounds very easy to achieve! Did you ever make a sourceforge login? You can add it to the feature requests yourself if so: https://sourceforge.net/p/quickplay/feature-requests/
jaw970

Post by jaw970 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Thank you butter100fly. I will do that now
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:29 pm

Just to say I've made a warning popup before clearing a romlist. Very much needed doing! Will be released with next version imminently
jaw970

Post by jaw970 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:23 am

Awesome, thank you so much butter100fly. This will no doubt come in handy for many of us. :)