Media Panel Accessing Video Files

Something not working as it should? We can help you....
hasseno

Media Panel Accessing Video Files

Post by hasseno » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:25 am

Listed in the features is this:
Media Panel is capable of displaying ROM related images, and can launch other media such as FAQs and videos in the system default player.
How can you actually do this?
(linking the video in the media panel)
butter100fly

Re: Media Panel Accessing Video Files

Post by butter100fly » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:52 pm

hey there, please accept my sincerest apologies for the time it took for me to get back to you, I missed your post somehow in a deluge of spambot attacks...truly sorry you've had to wait so long for a reply

Have a look at the screenshot below, it show's the 'Manuals' tab and its configuration for Arcade (MAME), we're parked on the rom '005', and we've told QuickPlay to display anything from the destination folder that matches the romname, and we're in MAME Extra's manuals directory, so the 005.pdf shows. The functionality is that if you double click on the PDF it will open with the system default PDF viewer, so the same should work with any filetype that has a system default viewer. Hope this helps!

Something else that I've never managed to make use of related to videos is that RetroArch has a video-player 'emulator' so if you were able to work out some way to trigger that 'emulator', passing it a video as the 'romname' that would also function as a video player, I can't think of a way of integrating that into the Media Panel though...
mame-linking-to-PDF.PNG
mame-linking-to-PDF.PNG (817.2 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
hasseno

Post by hasseno » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:36 am

Hey there!

Thanks for replying and showing an example. I'm guessing it is possible, but i just can't find a way how to do that.
I tried following your steps (media panel, select arcade), and your tabs is just displaying more options compared to what i'm currently seeing.

https://ibb.co/dQVwwF5
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:59 pm

So you would create a new tab, perhaps named 'videos', and in that tab set Tab type to thumbnails, set a media path and if the video name matches the rom name it should show up in the Videos tab (like my example pdf there does) and should be clickable

(you mention I have more options in my screenshot, I think perhaps you mean the number of Tabs I have in my arcade system - this is because I set these Tabs up myself to display all the mame assets in the tabs, its not really relevant to the functionality we're discussing, you can do with against any system)

does that help?