ROMs --> Remove orphaned ROMs question

Something not working as it should? We can help you....
jaw970

ROMs --> Remove orphaned ROMs question

Post by jaw970 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Hello,

Is there a way to generate a list of orphaned ROMs and not remove them? I ask because my list is huge and I have quite a few emulators setup. I prefer to see the orphaned ROMs before I remove them so I can fix them (provided there's simply a path error). If I remove them, I need to re-scan all of the emulator ROMs again (which can be tedious - unless there's a way to scan multiple emulators).

Thanks,
Jason
butter100fly

Re: ROMs --> Remove orphaned ROMs question

Post by butter100fly » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Hey

What do you define as an 'orphaned rom'?
Maybe you mean a rom that no longer has a valid emulator associated in QuickPlay?
Or a rom defined in QuickPlay, but whose path is no longer valid?
Or something else?
jaw970

Post by jaw970 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Hello butter100fly,

a rom defined in QuickPlay, but whose path is no longer valid

If I select ROMs --> Remove orphaned ROMs, QP almost always finds orphaned ROMs (games listed whose path is invalid) and removes them. Weird because if I clear the ROMs list and start a new scan for ROMs, QP finds the ROMs for the emulator I select. I would think at this step, all listed ROMs will have valid paths. Not always the case because at this point if I select ROMs --> Remove orphaned ROMs, QP removes several orphaned ROMs almost every time. Not sure why there's no red X over the ROM icon to the left of the game name either. This tells me that QP removed ROMs with no valid path. Not sure which ones though s there is no log listing what QP removed.

Make sense?
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:32 pm

What you can do is make a copy of the romdata.dat for that folder before you run 'removed orphan roms' and then compare it (by eye or maybe with a diffing tool) against the state of the romdata.dat after you run that command - does this tell you something of interest?
jaw970

Post by jaw970 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Excellent suggestion. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Thanks Buttter100fly.