mame/retroarch mame options

Something not working as it should? We can help you....
alx17

mame/retroarch mame options

Post by alx17 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 am

Hello,
I have problem with this option: I would like to update my mame to 0.198 but scanning of .xml doesn't work...
The scanning begin but xml statut stay on not loaded!
- xml file is the good (mame0198lx.zip), I extract it in my dats folder of my mame.
- extras folders are ok.
- configuration of emulator is ok in quickplay.
- mame 0198 works fine with and without QP
An idea?

Another question: does it exist command lines for QP?
Sorry for my bad english!
Thanks!
butter100fly

Re: mame/retroarch mame options

Post by butter100fly » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:24 am

2 ideas:

1) Can you post a screenshot? What does the command line window that opens look like, and what does it say before it disappears (if you have some way of screen recording, that would help)? We need to include a text log of the progress of the scan, i'll make sure to do that in the next version
2) Can you download an earlier version of the XML and let us know if it works then? Try mame187's xml from here: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/releases

I'm afraid I don't understand your question, perhaps you want to know what command line flags quickplay accepts? http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... Parameters
alx17

Post by alx17 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello, thanks for yours answers...
Before disapeared the last line is: "Reading a very large xml file, patience..."
This is the same thing for 0.187.xml...
I will wait the next version of QP for a text log...

For commands lines, I would like know if it's possible to launch a game without graphic interface of QP in cmd like this:
Qp.exe -[system] -[game]
Thanks...
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:20 am

Ok thanks for testing with the earlier mame xml, so the structure of the data files isn't the problem. I wonder, then, if the structure of the files in your mame extras directory is the problem, if you have any time, perhaps you could post the output of doing a DIR in your MAME/EXTRAS/dats directory and and MAME/EXTRAS/folders directory, and tell us how many files are in your MAME/Extras/icons directory? Also just checking but you do have the "hash" folder in your main MAME directory don't you? How many files are in there?

We don't have external command lines to launch games with emulators no. Really QuickPlay just calls command lines of other emulators, so i've never thought about it (since you can replicate what quickplay does just by calling the emulators quickplay calls with the games locations). I will think about it
alx17

Post by alx17 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:02 pm

hello,

in mame\extras\dats:
history.dat
mameinfo.dat

in mame\extras\folders:
Alltime.ini
Artwork.ini
bestgames .ini
cabinets .ini
category.ini
Clones Arcade.ini
Control .ini
CPU.ini
Device.ini
driver.ini
freeplay.ini
languages.ini
Mechanical Arcade.ini
monochrome.ini
Non Mechanical Arcade.ini
Not Working Arcade.ini
Originals Arcade.ini
resolution.ini
Screen.ini
screenless .ini
series .ini
Sound.ini
Version 0.129u5-0.189.ini
Version.ini
Vsync.ini
Working Arcade.ini

in mame\extras\icons:
9268 files

in mame\hash:
496 files

Thank you for your help
It could be cool if you could integrate an external command line to launch a game
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 pm

If I use the latest MAME XML (0.198) and the latest MAME EXTRAS (0.197), the scan works fine for me. I tried on two different computers. I also overwrote my mame emulator folder with MAME 0.198 and its hash folder, and deleted any previous successful scans in my qp/dats folder, to be as accurate to what you're trying to do as possible

When I look at my MAME Extras directory, it looks different from yours. Because I can do a succesful scan, I think that's most likely to be the problem - a lot happens when QuickPlay scans MAME and every mame extras file is needed at points. For instance there should be these files in your dats directory in your MAME extras:

command.dat
gameinit.dat
hiscore.dat
history.dat
mameinfo.dat
messinfo.dat
story.dat
sysinfo.dat

yet you only have two of those files.

Also in my 'folders' folder, I have these in addition to some of your files:

arcade.ini
arcade_NOBIOS.ini
Catlist.ini
mess.ini
nplayers.ini

it looks like maybe you collected your mame extras files one-by-one yourself? You might want to work out the best place to obtain those files from
alx17

Post by alx17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:01 am

Hello, sorry for my silence!
Well, I added all files in all extras directory but sadely the scanning doesn't work.
My source for all files:
http://www.progettosnaps.net/index.php
I will wait the next version of QP with log file for scanning, I'm curious...
Now wait and see
Thank you for your help
Have a good day
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 am

Yes I see you collect all your MAME dat files yourself individually from progrettosnaps. I didn't do that, they were distributed with my extras package. I still think that's most likely to be the problem, but without proper error logging by me, its hard to be certain, so sorry about that. These days, there are too many Dats and too many versions of MAME, I think the Dats need to be distributed with the extras files they refer to.
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi alx17

Sorry for the massive delay, had a second child. just adding the error handling logic we discussed. I have a question if you are still willing to reply:
My source for all files:
http://www.progettosnaps.net/index.php
where, in that case, did you download these to put in your 'folders' directory in your MAME extras:

* arcade.ini
* arcade_NOBIOS.ini
* mess.ini

I've found that I get your problem if I don't include these files in that location. These files are automatically included if you sourced your mame files from the same place i did (remember I said that its important that the mame extras folder was prepared by the same people who prepared the mame assets you are trying to use). I cannot find where these files can be downloaded from by searching progrettosnaps, but i may have just missed it. I will include error handling that warns if these files are missing (as well as nplayers.ini (which is obtainable from progretto)) but i wish to know if i need to add error handling that checks that these files are valid ini files (since you say you added them and still had the same problem). Did you try the scan with these files valid and in the right location? Where did you get them - CAN YOU POST ME URIS? I'd like to help if you collect your mame ini files yourself, but i'd need this help to get me started....

thanks
teorex

Post by teorex » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:41 pm

alx17 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 am
Hello,
I have problem with this option: I would like to update my mame to 0.198 but scanning of .xml doesn't work...
The scanning begin but xml statut stay on not loaded!
- xml file is the good (mame0198lx.zip), I extract it in my dats folder of my mame.
- extras folders are ok.
- configuration of emulator is ok in quickplay.
- mame 0198 works fine with and without QP
Yes, not work with new install mame 0.205 with xml 0.205, 0.204, 0.186...
dats and folders - http://www.progettosnaps.net/support/
history.dat - https://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=download
icons - http://www.progettosnaps.net/icons/

After click on Choose XML File and start scan - run Cmd and no any results. Mame status XML Not Loaded.