mame/retroarch mame options

Something not working as it should? We can help you....
butter100fly

Re: mame/retroarch mame options

Post by butter100fly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 pm

Ok thanks for that....ALX17: I've just released a new version of QuickPlay for you. I'm afraid (and isn't it always like this), that when i gather those files from those sources, everything works fine for me, and QuickPlay presents me with countless MAME/RetroArch MAME games I can run

I haven't explored the icons files in details, but I do know that the dats folder isn't so important to your issue. So I'm still focussed on the MAME ini files in the 'folders' folder of MAME Extras at the moment, because I can see that WILL cause issues if the required files are not there, and I have not previously made that clear. I know you've already put all the ini files here, but I do note that a lack of `arcade.ini` and/or `arcade_NOBIOS.ini` will particularly cause an error, and we need to fix that so its clear they are required files. These files are provided by ProgrettoSnaps.

But I've also found out that there are 2 files that Progretto links to on their page but don't supply, and these also cause an error in QuickPlay's MAME scan (which needs to be made more explicit also) - they are:

mamescore.ini
nplayers.ini

they have links here: http://www.progettosnaps.net/support/ BUT they are external links, they aren't included if you download their support pack. So make sure you do have those files! (I had to hunt a bit to manually get the latest mamescore.ini, as the site Progretto links to is down currently). I've updated the WIKI here to reflect that that these files are required before you do a MAME Scan: http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/MAME

But you've said you already put the necessary inis in place and it still didn't work, so i've implemented a basic logging function to QuickPlay's MAME scanning. Its not going to catch all errors but might just solve our problem: so, whenever you have the chance it would be great if you could download/overwrite the new QuickPlay 4.6.4, (make sure again those 4 ini files i've mentioned are definitely in your 'folders' folder), and if you still get the same problem, post here 'mametool_logfile.txt' which you'll find in the root of the QuickPlay folder. I'd be really grateful!

I also noticed that ProgrettoSnaps' combined 'support files' download from http://www.progettosnaps.net/support/ gives you a folder structure to put in your MAME Extras 'Folders' folder, where often people have had all inis just flat in the root of that folder. So in QuickPlay 4.6.4, i've implemented an Ini file finder that will find the inis we need if they are in subfolders of the 'folders' folder- so those ini files can now be anywhere in the MAME Extras 'folder' folder

Hope this helps us solve this, its really worth it! Let me know....
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Hopefully QuickPlay 4.6.5 now fixes any issues in this thread (along with requiring a 64-bit Windows, as we also discovered!)
alx17

Post by alx17 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:55 pm

Hello;
Sorry for no answer, i didn't play with QP during 3 months.
For begining I would like congratulate you for your family.
Now, today i try QP v4.6.4, 4.6.5 and 4.6.6:
- 4.6.4 crash when i launch mame scan.
- 4.6.5: mame scan works! good work!
4.6.6: it's ok too but i don't like this system scan because i don't want all games in my data list. The Second problem with this version is incompability between goodset and the new 7zip32.dll.
Conclusion: I'm happy with my personnal version of QP.
I use quickplay 4.6.6 with the old 7zip32.dll.
For arcade i will use an old version of QP with perl for make my data list.

Another thing:
daemon tool lite can directely mount *.7z, *.rar and *.zip.
Is it possible to use multiloader just with daemon tool but no 7z?
(My solution could be :not use multiloader but just use the emulator with daemon tool in prelaunchCmd)

And the last thing:
Could you explain me how the IPS system work? Can i use it with all games (arcade and consoles)?

Thank very much for your work!
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi there, good to hear from you, gald the MAME scan is fixed. I figured out from your descriptions what the problem was so thanks for the investigations
incompability between goodset and the new 7zip32.dll.
Please can you tell me more in as much detail as you can? I have tested with many goodmerge roms and i did not find any compatibility problems. The entire point of the work I did and the release was to increase goodset compatibility by also allowing goodmerge sets that have been compressed with LZMA2. (I should mention, just in case, that If you somehow used an earlier version of QuickPlay with the newer 7zip DLL, you will get goodmerge compatibility problems, as I had to fix some things in QuickPlay to make the new DLL work with it. ). it would help if you would give me examples of games that don't work, which version of the set they are from, how they are compressed and so on, so I can reproduce your problem. Because as it is, I don't see any problem?
4.6.6: it's ok too but i don't like this system scan because i don't want all games in my data list.
Just to avoid confusion: http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/index. ... =changelog - nothing has changed between 4.6.5 and 4.6.6 apart from the LZMA2 support. But I guess you aren't saying that - perhaps you're saying you only want the roms you actually have on disk to print out? It was too much work to read the filesystem for roms, and I figured that we're moving away from the days of collecting MAME assets individually. If you want more control over which MAME roms to output, you can use a MAME File Manager output - see point 9 here: http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/MAME - it actually outputs a simple flat file list of MAME Roms (ie: one mamename per line, that's all), so I guess you could make a flat file list of the roms you have on disk and supply that to QuickPlay as the "Mame File Manager output file"....Last thing i'd say on this is that there's now quite a few games that don't have corresponding roms, so if you are using the roms you have on disk as a basis for MAME scanning, you will miss fun things.....
daemon tool lite can directely mount *.7z, *.rar and *.zip. Is it possible to use multiloader just with daemon tool but no 7z?
This was an option in the multiloader for some time, but I removed it after I found there were significant performance problems with Daemon Tools' compressed mounting. Its basically impossible to run like a CD/DVD game mounted compressed in Daemon Tools - find a game that loads on the fly from disk and try and play it. you do need to find a game that loads data on the fly otherwise you won't see the problem.....I tested this about 2 years ago and i very much doubt it is now fixed, or that it will be fixed anytime soon. So i simply removed the feature - you can find where i did that in the changelog if you like. but I wouldn't go there if I were you....
Could you explain me how the IPS system work? Can i use it with all games (arcade and consoles)?
They are language patches, often for japanaese games, you can google and find out about them I know very little about how they work