Updating QP

Something not working as it should? We can help you....
Daegothv

Re: Updating QP

Post by Daegothv » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Oh the PM are the same than from my thread.

Can you please tell me how to disable Synctool?
As I've mentioned b4 I solved the compression issue by just manually extracting and compressing the roms.7zip I had altered by adding new hacks.
But will make a test today with last qp and will see how it works with lzma2.

Sorry to bother you, didn't want to make you mad. Was just a bit in a panic.
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 am

I'm not angry don't worry.

To disable synctool: until I can release a fixed version:
just delete synctool_config.json from the root of QuickPlay's directory and that will go away.
Synctool has nothing to do with your issue.

To further diagnose why the newer 7zip.dll is still giving you that extraction error:
  • if I'm understanding you correctly, previously with QP4.6.6 you found that you got that same 7zip extraction error only on LZMA2 roms, but now with QP4.7 you get the same error on LZMA1 and LZMA2 roms - is that correct? This is very strange as I haven't changed anything to do with that process at all between those two versions. Download and briefly setup QP4.6.6 and QP4.7 again to load the same roms and check there really is this difference? (Maybe investigating that will help us identify the problem?)
  • change where roms are decompressed to: "utilities/general options/emulator options -> Uncompress Roms to" - your 7zip error screenshot indicates you've got this set to 'Roms Directory' currently - try the other two options, does it change anything? I would really like to know if changing the physical drive and the path of extraction makes a difference, changing the extraction directory to the system one should do this, and you can also try choosing to extract to QuickPlay's temp directory and make it so that QuickPlay lives under C:/test/ (just move your qp folder!) (i'm hoping that C:/ is not the same physcial drive as your E:/ drive - if it is could you temporarily try moving QuickPlay to a USB thumb drive or something, and choosing to extract to QuickPlay's temp directory then)
  • send me one of your problem roms via so i can try to reproduce your issue? I will PM you!
try and explain fully your findings, with screenshots etc, showing how you did each stage?
Daegothv

Post by Daegothv » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:18 am

Random "problematic" Rom sent via mail. Will see the rest of your message request when I have some time as you request many tests.
TY.
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:18 pm

I downloaded QuickPlay 4.7.1, used the setup wizards to find my emulators and your rom, and successfully decompressed it. I then used the same path name as yours and got your error.

The problem is the ó in your filepath. The newer 7z.dll (the one that fixes LZMA2) is not handling accents correctly the way it is being called right now. 7zip Decompress in QuickPlay is a 7zip command line call (meaning we should be able to refer to a version of the 7zip cmd documentation https://sevenzip.osdn.jp/chm/cmdline/commands/), but i've tried setting the https://sevenzip.osdn.jp/chm/cmdline/switches/scc.htm switch to utf8 and that's not working...

But hey at least you dont need to do any tests now...
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Well this has been an interesting adventure in the encoding practises of ancient programming languages

I can fix the call to the 7zip.dll, so that accents are passed correctly to the 7zip dll (this updated dll seems to now require the code page specified via the -scc flag, despite current 7zip not requiring this. And it errors if I try and give it UTF-8 code page, very unfortunate! So I specified DOS which works. But I cannot fix what the dll returns to QuickPlay, it returns a path that has been extracted and accents will be be missing from the path if the character set under which QuickPlay has been launched does not include those characters (ie: if I download any previous version of QuickPlay, setup your rom under a path that includes a 'ó', don't change the extract directory (keep it as 'rom directory'), I will always get 'no files extracted and no errors occurred' and QuickPlay will have extracted the file, but won't run the emulator.

BUTTTTT.....I think you will get success according to https://stackoverflow.com/a/27491652/3536094 because your code page includes those characters.

Either way, extracting to QuickPlay's temp directory works fine now

So I think this fixes things. I notice two things that i'll also change:

1) newer versions of the same DLL have been released, one of them due to a critical vulnerability (http://www.madobe.net/archiver/lib/7-zip32.html), the api stays the same as I think does the underlying version of 7z used, so i'll upgrade the dll version
2) I had wrongly presumed that 'QuickPlay temp directory' was the default extraction path in QuickPlay, its not, its ROM directory. Some work I recently did expects the QuickPlay temp directory to really be most people's default, and to me it sounds very sensible (its only in the case where you download huge zips and you have very little room on C:/ that you wouldn't want this, as QuickPlay is possibly on faster storage than ROMs, and I never find a few gigabytes on C:\ a problem anymore, not even on my laptop. So i'm going to change the default.

Will release shortly
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Ok released QuickPlay 7.1.3

If you have any energy left, please could you download this and update your QuickPlay, and let me know if it solves all your issues, or not? (And those issues should INCLUDE being able to use LZMA2 GoodMerge romsets without any problems). This was all quite an experience either way :D

(p.s.: I think all current users should probably change QuickPlay to extract to QuickPlay's temp directory as I described 3 posts ago <--- )
Daegothv

Post by Daegothv » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:19 am

Just a small question. If I understood correctly I'm having all those issues just because of a character not recognised like ´ in ó from Emulación?

Because if that's all I could just use a regular o...

But oh well should test all the rest wich isn's just one thing :D
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:42 am

Seems to be to do with accents and other special characters anywhere in the filepath, yes (including rom name). Others have reported issues so not just you. It would help if you could tell me what your windows locale settings are? As in https://serverfault.com/questions/80635 ... current-os

so open powershell and

Code: Select all

Get-WinSystemLocale | Select-Object Name, DisplayName, 
                        @{ n='OEMCP'; e={ $_.TextInfo.OemCodePage } }, 
                        @{ n='ACP';   e={ $_.TextInfo.AnsiCodePage } }
and also

Code: Select all

[Globalization.CultureInfo]::GetCultureInfo([int] ('0x' + (
        Get-ItemProperty 'HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language' Default
      ).Default)
)
I'd like to be sure that the codepage under which QuickPlay runs on your machine has accented characters
Daegothv

Post by Daegothv » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:19 am

Sorry for being stupid I've never used powershell
and am not sure what exactly should I type. I tried:
CODE
but got an error like this:

code : El término 'code' no se reconoce como nombre de un cmdlet, función, archivo de script o programa ejecutable.
Compruebe si escribió correctamente el nombre o, si incluyó una ruta de acceso, compruebe que dicha ruta es correcta e
inténtelo de nuevo.
En línea: 1 Carácter: 1
+ code
+ ~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (code:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

. Maybe you could lead me a bit more?
And my win language is Spanish btw :P
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 am

maybe first let me know if the newest QuickPlay's working ok for you now?