Updating QP

Something not working as it should? We can help you....
Daegothv

Updating QP

Post by Daegothv » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi first post. Have been using QP for years and it always asked me to update it but I ignored it till now.
So, I've downloaded 4.6.6 and would like to know how to "move/keep" all my settings from my old QP in order to avoid doing everything from 0.

Is it possible? Thanks in advance. :roll:
butter100fly

Re: Updating QP

Post by butter100fly » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Daegothv

Post by Daegothv » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 pm

butter100fly wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 pm
hi there

http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... /Upgrading

does that help?
Thanks I'll check it.
Daegothv

Post by Daegothv » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi I've been a bit busy and finally updated and replaced my qp folders but I'm getting this error:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 am

So this is a ROM that worked before you upgraded and doesn't work now? What version did you upgrade from?
Is this the only error you're getting or are there many like it? Do you see anything similar in the sets or roms that cause the error?
The error comes from the 7zip dll which says its been passed an invalid argument. I see that the output path has been split into the folder path and the filename, I'll remind myself if that's valid....
it would also help if you could right-click run-as and let me know what command QuickPlay says its going to run before it runs it and this error happens? (Or any other supporting info to show me what you were trying to run before you go this error)
Daegothv

Post by Daegothv » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Only pattern I saw is that it happened with new repacked roms which used that zlma2 or whatever they are called lol.
But after doing the same with "zlma1" they worked.

I'll test again and see what happens.
Daegothv

Post by Daegothv » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:02 am

I have updated to 4.7 since qp told me there was an update.
And I didn't have a backup so I probably made the worst decision ever.
It seems that not only have I lost all my settings and background image but also can't play my games anymore. I guess I have to make everything again.
These are my error messages via screenshots and I just replaces filed:
Please help, I'm quite disappointed and a bit mad due to this.
I also checked and it happens literally with all my roms, not just a particular collection.

Edit: ok I found old qp4.6 and 3.8.4 and kinda fixed it.

But it's weird that I have to use an old build to keep playing. Will wait for tips or help. Thanks for reading!
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:09 am

The first screenshot shows that Synctool is enabled and should be disabled. I appear to have released with my synctool config file still in place, my bad, just delete synctool_config.json from the root of QuickPlay's directory and that will go away. But this should not stop you playing games at all, Synctool should just exit because it has no work to do and your game should load, the screenshot you showed does not show an error, it shows that synctool has no work to do and is going to exit

The second screenshot you post seems to be the same error we have already talked about in this thread and on PM, and I have been waiting for your reply on PM: I do need someone to do some troubleshooting with that error, you were going to work out whether the affected rom has been compressed with LZMA2 (you can look for its properties in the 7zip file manager to tell you that) and work out if the errors only happen with LZMA2 compressed roms, or not? I also asked if you could try a clean install of the latest QuickPlay and see if that error is the same with the same rom - to make sure you really do have the new 7z.dll file and there hasn't been some drag+drop problem (could you try diffing/comparing the file properties of 7z.dll in quickplay 3.8.4 with the latest QuickPlay just to make 100% sure you are using an updated dll file - i say this because the error is what i'd expect the old 7z.dll to give if passed a goodmerged LZMA2 rom)? Finally I asked if you could just send me one of the affected roms (and perhaps an unaffected one, you did have unaffected roms last time this happened to you I seem to recall?) so I could test myself to work out what the problem is? I need as much information as possible to figure out what causes which roms to give that error, otherwise you will continue to get that error ;-)

Lastly, in terms of upgrading, because QuickPlay is a portable app, doesn't use the registry and wants to be as free and open as possible, there is no msi install package to do any upgrade logic, just a drag+drop process. The second guide on the QuickPlay wiki, the one I linked you to at the start of this topic, gives upgrade instructions: http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... /Upgrading - the instructions are basically to take a copy of QuickPlay first, and THEN drag and drop the new files over the old ones. If you do that, then if the new QuickPlay doesn't work as you want it, the old one is just the same as it ever was, and there's no need to panic. However, I would say that there is no DATS folder in a new QuickPlay zip file, and that's where all the settings live, so I'm pretty suprised that any of your settings could possibly be overwritten.

I would say, that users do need to help for open-source development to work - there is too much work for a developer to do unpaid in their own free time (there is some debate at the moment about open source software and where the whole ideology has gotten us). If you can do some troubleshooting to tell me exactly which of your settings got overwritten, what file they seem to have been in, and what they were overwritten with, then that will help me write something that will protect errant old settings when upgrading. Again having your old QuickPlay folder and your new one would help you with doing that. But it sounds like maybe you unpacked new QuickPlay in a new folder and ran it and expected it to remember the settings of your other QuickPlay? QuickPlay is a portable app, no data is stored outside our QuickPlay's own folder, and that's a great thing!
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:16 am

a long shot: but one thing from the second screenshot, QuickPlay appears to be setup to extract 7zips to the ROM directory instead of QuickPlay's temp directory (which is the default). Set the default behaviour and/or set to decompress to some other unrelated drive you have (like a thumb drive if possible , FAT32 formatted). Does that change the error at all?
Daegothv

Post by Daegothv » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Please don't get mad. I didn't send the pics because I just solved the lzma2 problem by just extracting and compressing again in "good" lzma1 or whatever it was called lol.
I got in panic but then solved it again by replacing an old qp. Now I will proceed to read your PM :mrgreen: