Filtering lists

Something not working as it should? We can help you....
jonk999

Filtering lists

Post by jonk999 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:06 am

Totally new to QuickPlay.
I store my ROMs on my NAS and had it scan the network folder for the full set of MAME ROMs I have. Took a while but eventually finished, however I could not get any of the games to run no matter what I tried.

I installed a fresh copy of QP to another folder and have copied a couple of games locally to test and can now get them to run fine. The issue previously may have been to do with the command line being passed. I tried a few variations, but no the one that got games loading when ROMs are stored locally. However the list is still the complete list of every game from scanning the XML, etc. Is there a way to filter the list to only the games that actually exist in the chosen ROM folder? Currently the path for all my ROMs is showing as '.\qp.exe'. This is the same as when I had scanned the network share. Not sure if there is a way to do this.

Eventually I will go back to trying the network share again, but am keen to get more of an understanding on filtering, etc first.
I see that there is a sync option. From what I read it sounds as though it copies the ROM you run from a network share (for example) to the local drive. It then leaves the local copy? I would look at perhaps setting that up, but the local drive would eventually fill up if there was no way of clearing space.

Cheers.
butter100fly

Re: Filtering lists

Post by butter100fly » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:44 pm

Hi there welcome to QuickPlay!

* The MAME functionality in QuickPlay wants to show a list with all the MAME Roms in the MAME XML, it doesn't want to limit your list to only roms that exist in a folder, though you can use MAME File Manager to do this if you really want: see https://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/MAME. This has been discussed a lot in these forums, maybe too much, do have a search!

* If you want to use the caching facility of QuickPlay's synctool for MAME, you have to turn on MAME File Paths - see https://quickplay.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... eFilePaths. And yes, with a cache you will eventually run out of room if you dont housekeep the cache. Sounds like you don't want a cache! Maybe you have no intention of playing MAME Roms outside the home....so leave it off

* If you haven't turned on the MAME File Paths functionality, you won't be caching files, and yes you would see './qp.exe' as the path, that means QuickPlay isn't tracking your rom files, just leaving it to MAME to know where they are. This SHOULD mean that you're just running games from your network folder directly and they should run like that - do they work in MAME itself from your NAS (ie: outside of QuickPlay). If you can post any error screenshots etc we could troubleshoot