QUickPlay error

Something not working as it should? We can help you....
jaw970

QUickPlay error

Post by jaw970 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:25 pm

Hello,

I've added an emulator, PC Engine to my Quick Play list of emulators. ROMs are in 7-zip format. I've added two games to my PC Engine game list. When I launch the games, I get this:

---------------------------
Error
An unknown error occurred - The command sent to the DLL was:
e "D:\Emu\TG16\Neutopia.7z" -aoa -o"D:\QuickPlay\temp" *.* -hide

Press CTRL+C to copy this error to clipboard.
OK

I have quite a few other systems with 7-zip compression and have no problem running those. It's just with this newly added system. Am I missing something?

Thank you,
Jason
butter100fly

Re: QUickPlay error

Post by butter100fly » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi Jason

Do you mean you added an emulator for PC Engine from one of the existing efinds, or did you add it yourself? Which emulator is it? (and how is that emulator being called - is it through some other prog? What does quickplay call?)

I'm not familiar with that error message, it doesn't seem to be from quickplay....
jaw970

Post by jaw970 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Hey Butterfly,

Thanks for the reply. The error is something with 7-Zip. I compressed the files with another programs and they run fine now, thanks.

Jason
MarcoForce

Post by MarcoForce » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Open your file with 7-zip Manager and scroll to the right. If you can read "lzma2:" you file is not compatible with QuickPlay.

Solution:
1. Install 7-zip (if you don't have it) and extract your compressed files in a directory with the same name of the *.7z file (for example: if your file's name is "Neutopia.7z", the files must be extracted in the "Neutopia" directory). The number of the created folders must be the same of the *.7z files with the respective names.

2. Backup and delete the original *.7z files.

3. Create a file with Notepad and paste the following command text:
for /D %%A in (*) do "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -t7z -m0=lzma -mfb=273 -md=1024m -mx9 -mmt2 "%%A.7z" -xr!*.bat ".\%%A\*"

Note: "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" is the default location of 7-zip installed program. You can change this if you install 7-zip in other location.

3. Save the text file and rename the *.txt extension to *.bat extension.

4. Put the *.bat file in the same location of the directories.

5. Select the *.bat file and press Enter.

6. Wait until the console windows is closed.

7. Check if the number of the new generated *.7z files are the same of the folders.

8. If all is right, you can delete the folders and now your packaged roms are 100% compatibles with QuickPlay.

Now, this is the description of the error:

Unfortunately, QuickPlay is not compatible with LZMA2. LZMA is the algorithm used for compression in 7-zip. Another problem is GoodMerge. That tool don't specific the LZMA version used in the compression. As a result, if you have an updated version of 7-zip different from 9.20 the default option is LZMA 2. So, this is the problem with the new GoodSets "merged" with new versions of 7-zip.

For now, this manual command line method is a solution but the problem is the extra work for organize your folders (yes, a harder work). So, I conluded that this as a BUG: QuickPlay don't support LZMA2.

I wait this information is useful.

PSD: Sorry if my english is not good.
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:30 am

Hi MarcoForce- thanks for this, clearly this needs to be addressed - I did try to update the 7-zip32.dll that QuickPlay uses a few months back but when I did so I ran into many issues with existing Goodmerged sets. QuickPlay is using an older version of that dll and in theory its very easy to upgrade it. Do you suspect this is the problem?

I think the answer is probably yes, I had this existing feature request, so i've upped the priority and turned it into a bug:
https://sourceforge.net/p/quickplay/bugs/37/

if anyone has any ideas why the lastest dll might refuse to load some zips please let me know as it will help to get this fixed. If anyone wants to actively help me - look at that bug ticket and see that i've put the dll that i tried to use in the ticket - backup your current dll in the quickplay folder and temporarily put that one there and see what problems you have and let me know - to help with testing: from memory just one of the errors I had with the newer dll was that I was trying to run a rom that had been encoded as part of the SNES 3.14 Goodmerge, and I got similar messages to the below. Think GBA roms too had a lot of issues.

It took some searching to find that updated 32bit dll so if anyone has a better or moreupdated canonical source also that would also massively help?

Also MarcoForce some links or other info to help troubleshoot issues would be great?
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:28 pm

I'll continue the conversation here rather than the ticket in the hope that one of you might help

What i've found so far:
* The version of the 32-bit full 7zip dll that was last posted by the Japanese guy who maintained it IS the one I put in the bug ticket
https://sourceforge.net/p/quickplay/bugs/37/ - its from 7zip version 922.01
* The 7Zip packages own identically-named 7-zip32.dll is NOT the same as this DLL - its a 32bit interface for the 64-bit 7zip dll (and the dlls interlink anyhow hence the 7zip-dll isn't easily usable for us either). We need that japanese guy's final dll at the moment (unless anyone knows otherwise?)
* Marcoforce you said: [MarcoForce][if you have an updated version of 7-zip different from 9.20 the default option is LZMA 2]
So this version IS > than 9.20 so should work right?
* Like I said you can help me test by just downloading the new latest dll from my ticket there, and renaming the existing z-zip32.dll in the root quickplay directory and pasting it in there
* My memory was pretty much right: a quick test shows every goodmerge set I have works fine with this dll, excepts SNES (goodmerge 204), GBA(3.14) and Atari LYNX (201), none of which work AT ALL.

So if someone else could test their versions of these goodmerge sets, and test the newer goodmerge sets with this dll and let us know, that would seriously help.....