Demul doesn't work

Emulator broken? Don't know which emu to use? Need some inspiration with your emu setup?
Soulios

Demul doesn't work

Post by Soulios » Sat May 28, 2016 11:32 pm

Demul won't launch any game with the default command: "-run=dc -rom=%ROMFILENAMENOEXT%"

Can you please provide the correct command? I tried several different ones but Demul refuses to load any game. Any other frontend i used works except for Quickplay.

Thanks.
butter100fly

Re: Demul doesn't work

Post by butter100fly » Sun May 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi Soulios and welcome to the new forums

I'm afraid none of us use Demul atm (check out http://nonmame.retrogames.com/ where the current recommendation is the Reicast core of Retroarch).

Can you tell us what the full command line args of any of the other frontends are calling Demul with? I will then immediately code the quickplay version of that command line into the next releases' Efind, and tell you what it is in this forum?...(The other frontends should have a facility to see what they are going to call before they launch a game.)
Soulios

Post by Soulios » Sun May 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm glad the forum is finally open, Quickplay is my favorite frontend because it's so fast and works great with goodmerged sets.

Anyway, about Demul, first of all when i use emu finder, quickplay detects it successfully. The default command in the command line parameters box is:
-run=dc -rom=%ROMFILENAMENOEXT%
So, when i try to launch a game, the emulator launches but it stays there with it's Demul logo, with no game launching.

Another frontend i use is Launchbox. This also detects Demul and it's default command line is:
-run=dc -image=
This runs fine with Launchbox and this setting but even if i change the quickplay command to this, it still doesn't work through quickplay. I tried a lot of combinations like -run=dc -image= %ROMFILENAMENOEXT%, -run=dc -image= %ROM% etc, i must have tried 20-30 different command lines but nothing works. It's always the emulator launching but no game.
Last edited by Soulios on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soulios

Post by Soulios » Sun May 29, 2016 10:41 pm

Also, the recommended DC emulator should be Demul, it's FAR superior than reicast or any other emulator. Sorry for the double post but i can't edit my previous one
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Well, all QuickPlay is doing is launching a windows command line, so if you right click the rom and 'run with dialog' and then right-click to copy the the 'command to be run' from its text box, you can then run that command in your command line directly, its the same as QuickPlay doing it. So it will end up as: path\to\emulator -run=dc -image=path\to\image or whatever
So if you can do the same for launchbox and find its command line to be run, and work out what the difference between them is, you have your answer - does that help?
Soulios

Post by Soulios » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:48 am

Unfortunately, i can't find the exact command line that launchbox uses. The only thing i found is -run=dc -image= in the emulator parameters window (which doesn't work in Quickplay) and an option "No space before rom" checked, which i don't know how to translate it as a command. I tried to remove spaces or use short names and 8:3 format but it still wont work.
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:13 pm

I'd suggest ignoring ALL frontends really, and finding out the correct command-line parameters to call demul with using demul's documentation and the windows command line. Once you know what this is, please let us know and I'll change it straight away!

thanks
Soulios

Post by Soulios » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Unfortunately, after days of trying, i couldn't find the commands. So i ended up using RocketLauncher as an emulator (Demul works there) and launch that through Quickplay instead.
butter100fly

Post by butter100fly » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:01 am

Cool - so how are you getting rocket launcher working through quickplay? I should properly setup rocket launcher, the thing that's stopping me is i'm so used to just doing an efind scan to find all my emulators on my hard drive, rocket launcher seems to need you to do them one-by-one, like manually? That would take me a LONG time...am I using it wrong?
Soulios

Post by Soulios » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:38 am

I'm not 100% sure but i don't think you are doing it wrong. I also setup my systems one by one through RocketLauncher.

Once you have Demul setup in RocketLauncher you can add it in QuickPlay as an emulator and use this command:

-s "Sega Dreamcast" -r %SHORTROM%

The "Sega Dreamcast" part in the command line is just the default system name RocketLauncher uses for the Dreamcast to show it in the systems tree. If you change the name there, you should probably also change it in the command line.